This twist on traditional French onion soup uses mushrooms for added depth of flavour.
|Total Time||21 Minutes|
- 260 g medium onions, julienned
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil, optional
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 60 g unsalted butter, or optional
- 120 ml dry sherry, divided
- 950 ml beef stock, or roasted vegetable stock
- 6 g dried mushrooms
- 1 medium (60 g) carrot
- 8 g chia seeds
- In a large sauté pan over medium-low heat, add oil, onion, and bay leaf. Sauté until golden brown then add butter and seasoning.
- Deglaze with 80 ml of sherry and let reduce.
- Meanwhile, add stock, dried mushrooms, carrots, and chia seeds to the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 6 minutes or until steam escapes the vented lid.
- Add sautéed onion and remaining sherry. Select variable 2 and blend for 20 seconds.