This has to be one of the simplest and flavour packed soups. Serve straight up as is or get fancy like I have here and top it with prawns, avocado, chopped heirloom tomatoes and basil. For vegan, leave off the prawns and add some olives and for vegetarian, some marinated feta spooned through works so well. Created by @cheftomwalton
|Total Time||15 Minutes|
- 3 vine ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1 large Lebanese cucumber, roughly chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 clove garlic
- ¼ cup toasted pistachio, hazelnuts, or almonds (optional)
- ¼ cup sherry or red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil + extra to drizzle
- Flake sea salt, fresh ground black pepper
- 2 handful basil leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- ½ punnet cherry heirloom tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 6 cooked tiger prawns, peeled, diced
- Grilled crusty bread
- Prepare the ingredients then chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours to make sure they are cold.
- Place the prepared tomatoes, capsicums, cucumber, onion, garlic into the blender, along with the pistachios, vinegar, olive oil and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Blend on low speed for 20 seconds to break everything down then turn the speed up to high and blend for 1 minute until you achieve a smooth and silky consistency.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Chill in the fridge if not serving straight away - just give it a quick blend to emulsify again before serving.
- Pour the soup between two bowls, spoon over the avocado, heirloom tomatoes and prawns.
- Season with a little black pepper, drizzle with more olive oil and scatter extra basil. Serve with grilled sourdough.