Plant-based, natural, protein-packed and preservative-free – homemade nut butters offer many health and nutrition benefits. Vitamix can help you make delicious nut butters at home in a snap. In just a few simple steps, you can make a variety of spreads to use for sandwiches, in smoothies or as a dip or snack.
Before you make your blended butter, read through these tips:
- Gather ingredients
- If you’re roasting the nuts, let them cool completely before blending.
- Add the recommended amount of nuts, followed by oil (if called for)
- Start on the machine’s lowest speed, then quickly adjust to its highest speed.
- Use the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
- Blend to your desired texture, using the Pulse feature as necessary.
Need some tips and tricks for the tastiest blends? Here’s how to make the best customized creations for your lifestyle and flavour preferences:
- Roast nuts on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes to give nut butters a deeper flavour, creamier texture and to release oils more easily.
- Vary your nut selection based on your favourite flavours – mix almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, macadamia and various seeds to create your own blend.
- Blend longer for a creamier consistency (or add a teaspoon of coconut oil). Pulse for a chunkier texture.
- If your blend gets stuck, be sure to use your tamper!
Sweeten things up
- Sweeten your blend with honey, maple syrup, vanilla, cocoa, cinnamon or dates. Use in moderation and add to taste.
- Make the most of your blend and drizzle nut butter over ice cream, pancakes, waffles or açaí bowls.
Save it for later
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge, or freeze.
Try out some of our favourite classic nut butter recipes here.